To use your laptop for the essay portion of the bar examination you must:
- Ensure your laptop is configured for access to the internet and meets the minimum system requirements for the ExamSoft software. This information is available on the Board’s ExamSoft homepage, www.examsoft.com/ncbar.
- Have experience using computers.
- Agree to handwrite your examination in the event of a hardware or software malfunction or power failure.
- Agree not to remove, delete or uninstall Examplify or any Examplify program files until results have been published.
- Complete the registration of your laptop during the registration period. To complete the registration of your
laptop you must:
- Complete and submit the Application to Take Written Examination on Laptop,
- Pay the required fee,
- Download the software, which will be sent to you by email.
- Install all components of the Examplify software onto the laptop you plan to use for the bar exam. Even if you currently have ExamSoft on your laptop, you will still need to download the software. The software has the testing parameters for the current bar exam.
- Complete and return a Mock Exam using Examplify prior to the published registration deadline.
- Once the payment deadline has been set, it will be posted in this section of the website. Payment must be received by this deadline.
- The fee for laptop use is $125.00. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Please note: the Board does not allow the use of an external mouse and keyboard. It is strongly recommended that you remove any old versions of ExamSoft from your laptop before you download a new version of the ExamSoft software. Removing older versions will help prevent delays the morning of the examination. If you have any questions about removing the older versions, please contact ExamSoft at 866-429-8889.