Information & Applications » UBE Transfer Application » Information for UBE Transfer Application
The North Carolina Board of Law Examiners has prepared the General application in electronic format.
Electronic Application Procedure
- Register to create an account with the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners.
- On the “Welcome” page, select Application type: UBE Transfer Application.
- Confirm type of Application.
- Answer Application screening questions. Submit registration when prompted.
- You will then be directed to the User Home Page. You will be able to review Application Instructions, complete the application, and review system messages from this screen.
- In the Forms and Progress section of the User Home Page you may view Application Instructions and access the Application.
- Answer ALL questions asked. Do not leave any field blank.
- Once you have completed ALL questions on the application, you will be directed back to the User Home Page. You will then need to print your application.
- To print your application, click on the View/Print Form button next to Transfer Application.
- You will then need to print and complete the Signature Page – Transfer Application, and two Authorization and Release Forms.
- You will need to send two double-sided copies of your completed application, including the the Signature Page –
Transfer Application, the two Authorization and Release Forms, and the required application fee by the deadline
to the Board at the following address:
North Carolina Board of Law Examiners
5510 Six Forks Road, Suite 300
Raleigh, NC 27609
- You will need to have your certified UBE score sent by the NCBE to the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners. To do this, you will need to request a UBE Official Score Transcript from NCBE. Instructions for applicants to request UBE score transcripts are available on NCBE’s website at: http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-exam-score-services/ube-score-services/
Requirements for Completion of Application
- Although the Application is an electronic application, applicants must print the completed application and mail it to the Board’s offices, with the required fee and other required forms.
- The original application must be submitted in double-sided format.
- The application must be signed and properly notarized, with the handwriting sample completed, and filed in duplicate (the original plus a good photocopy.)
- Attachments do not have to be filed in duplicate.
- “Original” means a double-sided copy bearing the applicant’s original handwritten signature plus the original notarization. The Notary must affix the proper seal or stamp, as well as his or her original signature on all documents requiring notarization.
- Applicants are required to submit a new application each time an applicant applies for an examination. Please do not copy and resubmit a previous application, as it will not be accepted.
- Applicants are responsible for reading the current Rules Governing Admission to the Practice of Law in the State of North Carolina. The Rules can be accessed by using ncble.ilgtechnologies.com/rules-governing-admission-to-the-practice-of-law-nc of the website.
- An application will not be considered filed and will be returned if:
- The Applicant fails to answer any question or question subpart
- The Applicant does not send in all applicable fees
- Any of the Applicant’s answers are indecipherable
- The Applicant has altered the language of the application
- The Applicant has failed to sign any document requiring the Applicant’s signature
- The Applicant’s signature has not been attested by a notary public
- If the required properly executed Authorization and Release Forms are not included
- Applicants must fully answer all questions, leaving no question blank.
- Unless otherwise indicated, every question and every part of each question must be answered, even if the answer is negative.
- When providing references requested, please do not list any two persons that are members of the same household or are listed as employer or supervisor.
- “The Certificate of Moral Character Forms should be completed by the four individuals listed in the application and mailed directly to the Board’s office by those individuals within thirty (30) days. It is the applicant’s responsibility to furnish the Certificate of Moral Character Forms to those persons whom the applicant wishes to complete them.
- Be certain you have taken and passed or arranged to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination as provided in the Rules.
- The following should be submitted with the application:
- A certified copy of the Applicant’s birth certificate;
- A photograph of Applicant, passport-sized, taken within the past six months stapled to the completed Summary Card;
- Two sets of completed North Carolina fingerprint cards;
- If applicable, one copy of Applicant’s DD214 Form;
- For applicants that attended law school outside of North Carolina, a copy of your out-of-state application to law school;
- A copy of all application(s) filed by Applicant to take the bar examination in any other jurisdiction or for admission to the bar in any other jurisdiction; and Certificates of Good Standing from any bar or court to which Applicant is or has been admitted;
- A copy of any litigation to which Applicant is or has been a party;
- Two original, properly executed Authorization & Release Forms;
- Requests for Official transcripts to be sent directly to the Board by all undergraduate schools attended by Applicant; and
- A check or money order made payable to the NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS for applicable fees.
Application Submission Checklist
Below is a checklist provided for Applicants’ convenience, to use as a guide to assist the Applicant in completing necessary steps to ensure the application is submitted correctly. Please be advised this is not an exclusive list; additional items may be required to complete an application. If additional information is required, the Applicant will be notified by the assigned Investigation Analyst.
- Applicant has answered ALL application questions
- Applicant has completed the Signature Page – Transfer Application (signed and notarized)
- Applicant has an original and a copy of the completed application and Signature Page - Transfer Application in double-sided format
- Applicant has completed two (2) Authorization and Release forms (signed and notarized)
- Applicant has included a certified copy of Applicant’s birth certificate
- Applicant has included a recent passport-sized photograph of Applicant, stapled to a completed Summary Card
- Applicant has included two sets of completed North Carolina Fingerprint Cards
- Applicant has included a copy of Applicant’s DD214 Form (if applicable)
- Applicant has included a copy of Applicant’s law school application, if Applicant attended a law school outside of North Carolina
- Applicant has included a copy of all application(s) filed by Applicant to take the bar examination in any other jurisdiction or for admission to the bar of any other jurisdiction and certificates of good standing from any bar or Court to which Applicant has been admitted, if applicable
- Applicant has requested a driving record from all jurisdictions in which the Applicant has been licensed to drive
- Applicant has included a copy of any litigation to which Applicant is or has been a party
- Applicant has provided Certificate of Moral Character Forms to the four individuals listed in the application, to be mailed directly to the Board’s office by those individuals within thirty (30) days
- Applicant has requested official transcripts from all undergraduate schools attended to be sent directly to the Board’s office
- Applicant has requested a UBE Official Score Transcript from NCBE. Instructions for applicants to request UBE score transcripts are available on NCBE’s website at: http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-exam-score-services/ube-score-services/
- Applicant has included all required fees